I touched on this in Paris, but it’s even more true in Manhattan. If you intend to wear heels on a day you will be walking a lot, be careful… you may never walk again.
As a former dancer, my feet have built up a very high pain tolerance, but sometimes it’s too much for me. A girl can only push through the pain of so many blisters. I’m usually running a few minutes behind schedule and have to rush from one place to the next. Speed walking in heels on the uneven sidewalks of New York, carrying a heavy bag filled with textbooks is always a recipe for disaster.
Here’s my favorite pair to wear around. They look great and are not too tall to be uncomfortable on my hasty runs to class.
I asked around and here’s some of the best advice I got for wearing heels in the Big City:
- Don’t wear suede heels in the winter because they WILL get wet and they WILL be ruined. forever.
- Get a pair with a thick, sturdy heel not a tiny little skinny one unless you want to eat s***.
- Get some comfy gel inserts or wear shoes with platforms. The sidewalks of the City will have no mercy on the balls of your feet.
- Don’t wear stilettos in the West Village or Chelsea because the cobblestone will destroy the heels.
- Make sure your destination has a seat!
- Carry blister band aids with you at all times. There’s nothing worse than blisters you can’t do anything about.